What we achieved
In early 2020, the Global Heart Hub established a Heart Valve Disease Patient Council to bring a patient advocacy focus to heart valve disease. It then commissioned HPP to develop a report aiming to raise stakeholder awareness of heart valve disease across Europe.
We brought together a group of experts from across Europe to collaborate in the development of the report, which includes recommendations for action across the entire patient care pathway and also at specific stages of that pathway.
The report, Heart valve disease: working together to create a better patient journey, was published in December 2020, along with a two-page summary that was produced in English, Dutch, French, German, Italian and Spanish. HPP also produced a video in which several of the contributing experts share their perspectives on the importance of working together to improve care for people with heart valve disease.
The launch of the project was supported with a social media campaign using the hashtag #ValvesAtHeart. HPP produced graphics and sample posts for social media, which were made available via the Global Heart Hub website.
Key partners and stakeholders
- Suzanne Wait, HPP
- Pooja Krishnaswamy, HPP
- Britt Borregaard, Odense University Hospital, Denmark
- Jens Näumann, Initiative Herzklappe, Germany
- Keith Pearce, Wythenshawe Hospital, UK
- Marta Sitges, Cardiovascular Institute, Hospital Clinic Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
- Neil Johnson, The Global Heart Hub and Croí, Ireland
- Paul Nolan, Galway University Hospital, Saolta University Healthcare Group, Ireland
- Ruggero De Paulis, European Hospital, Unicamillus University, Italy
- Wil Woan, Heart Valve Voice, the Global Heart Hub Heart Valve Disease Patient Council, UK
- Wojtek Wojakowski, Medical University of Silesia, Poland
The authors would like to thank the following experts for their contributions:
- Bart Meuris, University Hospitals Leuven, Belgium
- Cormac O Dubhghaill, Harbour Medical Centre, Ireland
- Matthew Fay, The Willows Medical Practice, UK
- Rui Campante Teles, Hospital de Santa Cruz CHLO, Hospital da Luz, Portugal
- William Wyns, The Lambe Institute for Translational Medicine, National University of Ireland Galway, Ireland
- Christian Schaefer, International Self-Monitoring Association of Anticoagulated Patients (ISMAAP), Switzerland
Additional thanks to the members of the Global Heart Hub Heart Valve Disease Patient Council for their invaluable feedback and guidance.