What we achieved
HPP assembled a group of experts from across Europe to develop a report featuring 10 key policy recommendations, which were used to form a framework for action to provide a sustained policy response to depression. We then identified international case studies of best practice that fit this framework, and conducted telephone interviews to learn more about what had made each project a success, and what lessons had been learnt from implementation. The final report features full write-ups of 16 of these case studies, along with a checklist for future projects based on the lessons learnt.
The report was launched at the European Parliament on 5 December 2018, at a meeting of the European Parliament Interest Group on Mental health, Well-being and Brain Disorders. The meeting was chaired by Tomas Zdechovsky MEP and Julian Beezhold of the European Psychiatric Association.
The nine organisations behind the report are the Global Alliance of Mental Illness Advocacy Networks (GAMIAN – Europe), European Psychiatric Association, European Brain Council, European Federation of Associations of Families of People with Mental Illness (EUFAMI), Expert Platform on Depression, Eurocarers, European College of Neuropsychopharmacology, Union Européenne des Médecins Spécialistes (UEMS) Section of Psychiatry and the International Federation for Psychotherapy.
This coalition of organisations will continue its advocacy activities and is considering future actions to stimulate and support better holistic management of major depressive disorders.
Key partners and stakeholders
- Julian Beezhold, European Psychiatric Association
- Frédéric Destrebecq, European Brain Council
- Maria Fresu, European Psychiatric Association
- Martin grosse Holtforth, International Federation of Psychotherapy
- Marc Hermans, Immediate Past President UEMS Section of Psychiatry
- Kevin Jones, EUFAMI
- Hilkka Kärkkäinen, GAMIAN – Europe
- Stephanie Kramer, European Brain Council
- Alexander Schubert, European College of Neuropsychopharmacology
- Margaret Walker, EUFAMI
- Joseph Zohar, Expert Platform on Mental Health Focus on Depression
- Suzanne Wait, The Health Policy Partnership
- Alexandra Evans, The Health Policy Partnership
- Claire Champeix, Eurocarers