What we achieved
Recognising the urgent need for policymakers to effectively address depression, nine key mental health-related organisations joined forces to produce a report to offer recommendations based on existing examples of good practice. HPP was invited to support this work. The report features 10 key policy recommendations which constitute a framework for action to provide a sustained policy response to depression. Full write-ups of 16 case studies are also included in the report, along with a checklist for future projects based on the lessons learnt.
The report was launched at the European Parliament on 5 December 2018, at a meeting of the European Parliament Interest Group on Mental health, Well-being and Brain Disorders, co-organised by the nine initiators of the report. Supported by some 13 MEPs, this meeting was chaired by Tomas Zdechovsky MEP and Julian Beezhold (European Psychiatric Association).
The nine organisations behind the report are the Global Alliance of Mental Illness Advocacy Networks (GAMIAN – Europe), European Psychiatric Association (EPA), European Brain Council (EBC), European Federation of Associations of Families of People with Mental Illness (EUFAMI), Expert Platform on Depression, Eurocarers, European College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ECNP), Union Européenne des Médecins Spécialistes (UEMS) – Section of Psychiatry and the International Federation for Psychotherapy.
This coalition of organisations will continue its advocacy activities and is considering future actions to stimulate and support better holistic management of major depressive disorders.
Key partners and stakeholders
- Julian Beezhold, European Psychiatric Association
- Frédéric Destrebecq, European Brain Council
- Maria Fresu, European Psychiatric Association
- Martin grosse Holtforth, International Federation of Psychotherapy
- Marc Hermans, Immediate Past President UEMS Section of Psychiatry
- Kevin Jones, EUFAMI
- Hilkka Kärkkäinen, GAMIAN – Europe
- Stephanie Kramer, European Brain Council
- Alexander Schubert, European College of Neuropsychopharmacology
- Margaret Walker, EUFAMI
- Joseph Zohar, Expert Platform on Mental Health Focus on Depression
- Suzanne Wait, The Health Policy Partnership
- Alexandra Evans, The Health Policy Partnership
- Claire Champeix, Eurocarers